Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The tale of the ¨no show novio¨ and the ngolbe bulge.....

So I am in panama finally. I wasted a few days being a girl and exspecting that once I found my long lost novio, once is phone emerged from ´fui area coveratura¨, we would overcome flakyness and tico time and give me some much awaited bessos. unfourtunatley no dice. This wild goose chase ended it a few to many local calls, and a extra day or two in san jose ... not the end of the world. In the extra day I did manage to see some beat boxing didgery doo players that were fantastic. After giving up on my novio I decided I was done giving him chances and was ready to get the hell out of costa rica. I bit overtired and a bit disgruntled after a fitful night of sleep I boarded the 6am bus to puerto viejo where megan was waiting for me. Now I have a pretty iron stomach... I have eaten at street markets here and drank the water... but I guess not eating much and girlily obsessing at 6am means that for once it was not megan throwing up on a bus here it was me, and my nervous stomach. Luckily I was able to calmly get up and say ¨perdon, nesicito vomitir¨ The bus driver pulled over and I imediatly vomited my jugo de mora and threw away the rest of my pan tostada. Upon re enetering the bus a very nice woman offered me a tissue and we ended up having a delightful three hour conversation in spanish. Which not only kept me amused but made me feel great about my spanish! When I arived in puerto viejo, town of my fling with the no show novio it was apropriatly grim and rainy. Megan and I decided to leave imediatly if no sooner. We caught the next bus to sixiola and crossed the most hilarious border crossing yet. If you are ever going to go from costa rica to panama do it in sixiola... the boder literally is a huge rickety wooden bridge that you can see through at some parts due to rotting wood. You have to prove that you will leave the country at some point ( very intense) and then if you are american you need to get a visa... very fun. After that we continued in the rain to get a boat to bocas del toro. Everyone that we have talked to told us that bocas was amazing.... I dont know what they are smoking. We first went to isla bastimentos which I liked more than colon... the island everyone talks about. We arived on bastimentos in the middle of a downpour. We checked out lonley planets hotel pick... it had bed bugs. So we ran in the rain to the next closest cheap thing. Hospedaje sea view. It is located on stilts over the sea, the roar of the ocean put us to sleep. Amidst rain showers we did manage to hear the gali gali language ( a combo of creole, spanish, english, and ngolbe bulge). I did some shooting, and checked out the west indie imigrant town we were staying in. Then the next day megan and I went to the other side of the island, which lonley planet neglected to mention that you cant get to it the 1 dollar way when it has been raining. We hired a boat for a whoping 50 bux. I figured that I wasnt going to be stuck in the rain and not go to the tribe I came for.... I should have not gone. When we got to the tribe, after a hilarious boat ride with a old man with tons of shit who didnt know where the creek he lived in was, we payed 2 dollars to get in and treged through mud and gasoline, I asked many questions about there culture but got vauge informationless answers, They pretty much looked like a normal village, and there traditional crafts looked suspiciously like tourist trinkets.... But I did get to play with some children and spend the day on a boat. After returning megan and i caught a 3 dollar boat to colon. We checked into our hostel and realized that we had acidently wandered into spring break. We indulged in some cheap hookah and free drinks for ladies night at several bars. We stayed today to go to the beach... which is why people come here. Unfourtunatly like on bastimentos you cant walt to the beach ( ridiculous) we took a 4 dollar colectivo bus, and then had to walk 20 mins through mud to get to ¨the beach¨which really was alot like a foot of sand and some warm waveless shallow water. Another fun bonus was that there were ants and unidentifiable ¨bugs¨maybe, that looked like small clear quills or needles that kept atacking our feet and causing a ton of pain. We got to the beach and said screw this and screw this archepelego, we walked back to the dock and sunbathed until the bus came. We are off to the wekso station in parque amistad to see the naso teribe next.... Lets hope that goes better. After that we will be off the the embera and wounan tribe to be painted purple!

No comments:

Post a Comment